March 4, 2015

Appliqué

One of my goals this year is to become a better seamstress.  Which shouldn't be too hard since my sewing abilities are rather limited.  As in sew in a straight line.  So I started looking for projects and different basic things I could do in my free time.  Luckily there are some amazing women in my neighborhood who are willing to help me on my way, in addition to blogs, YouTube videos, books and the fabulous Craftsy website.

Unfortunately 

I did not recruit their help soon enough.  

I started Quilt Doodle Designs 2015 block of the month quilt that looks whimsical and fun - just up my ally!   I am familiar with interfacing - but I didn't realize that heat n bond is different.  Ha!!!  So needless to say I made it a little harder than necessary for my first two blocks! As I was cutting interfacing for these tiny pieces I thought there has got to be a better way.  There just has to be!

Then I found a video that shows how to do what took me 3 hours only took her 6 minutes.  Bah!!! 

Needless to say I have learned my lesson.  And I am loving the appliqué process now!  It is as easy as 1-2-3-4. Trace, press, cut, sew. 

1. Trace your pattern on the heat n bond.  It is pretty thin so you can see through it without shining a light.   The pattern I'm using is backwards so when I'm done it will be the right way.  Cut out your pieces is a general manner.  You do not need to be too precise at this point.  

2. Press the cut out piece on the chosen fabric. 

3. Cut it out according to your traced pattern, peal off the backing and then press it in place on your base fabric! 

4.  Sew.  This is the hardest part depending on how many curves and such your pattern has.  Please do not judge my final pieces as I am still improving!  Hopefully as I do each block it will get a little better.  :) 

I did end up buying a spray version of heat n bond so that I would not have to recut everything out for my tree and snowman.  It worked wonderfully.  :). 


Please note there are cute buttons and little additions that I will put on the blocks at the end. 

Amber



No comments: