May 13, 2008

Happily Ever After - Someday

I am what you would term a hopeless romantic. I have always dreamed of marrying my best friend - someone who I find myself unable to live without (or something ridiculous like that.). I have had visions of Prince Charming riding up and sweeping me off my feet - saving me from my unknown dragons and making the 'big gesture' since I was a little girl. I love girlie movies, love Disney, love love love them. I don't love crying - but I love the stories and watching the stories and seeing their happily ever afters come true. Who knows what actually happens afterwards - but really do we watch the movies to see the divorce three years later? NO! I watch them because they are happy - they make me feel happy - and life is good!

BUT there was a point recently where I thought my heart had gone a little hard - after some huge disappointments in my life -- I could not see happily ever after - I had no desire to see someone else be happy when my hopes had been chucked to the wind. Perhaps I didn't even want to see the glass half full.

Well - it seems that there are very few of us out there who have 'single-people blogs' as I lovingly term them. Apparently most of my friends who blog are married! (Well - most of my girlfriends from the past are married... go figure!) As a result - I have been reading many - many - many posts about fabulous husbands, children's achievements, family scares, dating/engagement/wedding day stories. I love reading these - I mean I have even gotten a little teary over a few. however - at first I did not want to read them. They were a constant reminder of my disappointment. I think however - perhaps my heart is feeling better.

Here are a few reason:
*Enchanted -
~who doesn't enjoy animated characters coming to life to find their true love's kiss?! with the fabulous dresses and fantastic singing - who wouldn't fall in love?! :)
*Weddings -
~I used to have the sarcastic attitude when it came to attending yet one more wedding - but with many of my close friends now joining another for eternity - I am pretty stoked to go to at least two more this summer! (weird...)
*27 Dresses
~If you have not seen this movie - DO IT! rent it! it is actually quite funny! as chick flicks go! :)
*My best friends
~I have recently been spending an absurd amount of time with a few of my guy friends from the ward - and they are restoring my hope in the previously seemingly useless-heartbreaking male species.
*Blogs
~Surprisingly reading about everyone else's amazing hubbies and families has softened my heart and helped me to realize that there are still a few 'good guys' out there - and they adore their wives and families! They work hard to provide for them - they are not selfish - they are trying - because of my amazing friends who support them till the end. This has helped me to see that life isn't all that bad.

So see --- Happily Ever After is possible -- and if you let yourself make believe - you might even decide you like to be you!! it just might a take a few months! :D

2 comments:

Chadster and Brittster said...

I felt the same way when I found out we couldn't get pregnant, it was too hard to read blogs of people who had kids. But then I started teaching and fell in love with "my" kids and it filled the void. I know God wanted me to teach first. God directs us and trust me, one day you will say it was all worth it to find your particular prince charming! Hang in there kid!

Lindsay said...

You deserve a happily ever after! I know you're probably tired of waiting, but don't settle for anything less than your prince charming! Those other stupid boys aren't worthy of having Amber as their wife!