February 19, 2008

Fake engagements and other fun weekend activities

In honor of the many weddings and engagements that seem to be occurring around the February holiday season - I thought I would post a story of my own. Hopefully it is as fun as my fellow bloggers and friends!

This weekend my friends (B & L) came down from school. They have been dating for about 4 months now - and in BYU-Idaho time -- practically forever! Recently they have had the oh-so-popular-assumed-question "when are you getting engaged" asked by quite a few different friends. This has increased in the recent weeks since they have crossed quite a few milestones in BYU-Idaho culture (3-month anniversary - semester break- and Valentine's Day). Recently they had purchased the infamous "Wal-mart Ring" (aka - cheap- almost real looking - engagement ring - used by un-engaged/married women to deflect creepy-stalker type men who like to hit on you at work or those who like to play pranks on others). They planned on taking many pictures while in Vegas and then send them to our various friends at school - and theirfriends from home - to feed the rumors! (plus it is just kinda fun - and funny!)

During various times this past weekend - we have taken some such engagement pictures. One such time was at the Las Vegas Temple. It was the happening spot this Sunday evening - with the various tourists and BYU students down for the weekend. Well we got there right before the rush - and so had plenty of time to take the 'fake pictures' - without any on-lookers gawking at the 'exciting moment' - or so we thought...

We had walked around the perimeter of the hlaf of the temple that was accessable spotting various 'prime proposing spots' and were taking a few final picture. Since I have taken one photography class in my life - I decided that I could get the best shot by stepping into the street and kneeling down - of course risking my life by stepping into the potential oncomming traffic (there really wasn't any traffic on bonanza at the time of the evening--- thank goodness!). As B- got down on his knees and pretended to ask the question - and I kneeled and started to focus and fram the picture - an unknown on-looker bursts in and exclaims "IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?? Are you for real! Oh my gosh!!!! He's proposing!!!!!!!"

Now if this had been the actual event -- she would have ruined - butchering the moment. All romantic qualities would have been lost - and the moment destroyed forever. (although - it would have made a good story - eventually - perhaps even a second proposal) As we burst into a fit of laughter - (because none of us are good at pretending!) she realized how awkward that moment could have been - and that she truly could have ruined the 'hopefully' once in a lifetime experience! She seemed quite embarrassed -- but was able to laugh about it. As we passed her and her friend other various times during our next 30 min. picture excursion we continued to laugh about the almost disaster. Although - with their help we did have many of the other on-lookers - who were on the other sidewalk - believing that they were indeed engaged.

While a fake engagement may seem cruel and weird -- it was alot of fun and made me realize a few things.

1) I think I would like my engagement to be a private - he & I experience - hopefully no onlookers to ruin the moment.
2) I don't know that there is any 'optimal' spot for proposing... just make sure to have a camera around somewhere ---- because pictures are so much fun!
3) Be careful of on-lookers - they might ruin your moment!!! ;D

Thanks to B & L for coming this weekend and keeping me entertained!


Sorry to any roomies, friends and innocent onlookers whose feelings may have been hurt in the entertainment of the weekend.

No comments: