February 7, 2008

To be circling or not to be - that is the question

So those of you who follow my recent blogging extravaganza - perhaps have noted my mention of relationship circles. I thought I would take a moment to explain this is a short paragraph.

Since I was 15 I have had this notion in my head that if I can not date them -- I would rather be their friends. 7 years later - still have this notion in varying forms. I am beginning to think that perhaps this is where many of my 'difficulties' come from. In plain words - I make an amazing friend - b/c it is simply easier.
A) You never have to wonder where you stand -
B) You are updated constantly on their life - b/c they can actually communicate with you - they ask your advice, tell you their woes, trust you - b/c you are a friend. and 'true' friends are 'always there' - never need to worry about them hurting you - how could they!?
C) Easy emotional attachment - no strings attached.
And this has been me - in many senses of the word - the "best friend" (well - until they decide to become engaged to someone else - and then I just kinda chop them off at the knees... harsh - but the sad truth - they picked a new best friend. and I won't compete - or be in the middle - nor should I ever!). And for the most part - I am content to play my role. ~note: for the most part

There are about 5 guys in my life that I have 'cut off' and it is usually because they have become engaged - and as afore mentioned - decided to fill my role with a permanent - live-in - best friend. And this is okay -- and the other times they have been cut off --- is because I am tired of circles.........

I would like to report that for the time being- I think the circles have all be broken. We will see if this is truly the case -- or perhaps you can decide for yourself. These are the steps I have taken ---
Moved away. I find this is the best tactic when trying to break a circle. ;) It allows you to sever all ties - and if they don't come to find you --- then they weren't that interested - and you can finally figure out how to heal. But I believe it is one of the easiest. I almost feel like it is 'running away' --- but in the same breath realize how hard it is also.
Another tactic I have used is deleting them from my speed dial --- now to get on speed dial is quite the privilege - and I have a very hard time removing anyone from speed dial privileges - but it must be done. So I did it....
Take a Vow to not email or text first --- this I did successfully for a few weeks -- but when you have a moment of weakness -- you just try try again!
These are quite effective tactics if you have self-control.

The problem I run into is I now have a void --- a deficiency in the 'boy best friend' area. and this is not a vacancy I enjoy. Usually I rush around trying to find a replacement as quickly as I can. It is interesting to me that this time --- I do not know if I want to fill it quite yet...

In other news --- I think I am getting closer to figuring out what I am really looking for


No comments: