October 24, 2008

Did you know....?

My friend Janssen posted an entry today about her college experience and how she ended up in the major she graduated in. She then asked this question:

"What was your major and would you do it differently if you could go back?
Or if you don't have a degree, what would you pick?"

As many know I graduated with my bachelors in Business Management - with my emphasis in Finance & Human Resource. I always pride myself that I did not change my major at all while at BYU-Idaho. However I suppose I never mention that I changed it before I got up to school.

All my life I have grown up around the 'entertainment industry' -- meaning my dad worked as a Technician for the Virginia Tech Music Dept for most of my childhood. and then as a light & sound tech at various hotels on the strip. I grew up around music, theatre, and dance. It was what I wanted to do for soo long. I started playing the piano when I was in 1st grade which does not make me good...b/c i hated practicing...like any 8 yr old. I was in band all throughout high school - I can remember singing with the choir at church from a very early age. I have danced since I was three. So when we moved to vegas - I was in band my freshman year, tried some theatre my sophomore year and stuck with choir for my junior and senior year. Of course when it came time to fill out college applications, in the little desired major box, I wrote Music Education.

I was excited! I have always admired my music teachers. My first being my mom --- so it seemed like the logical thing to do. I was working at a bank for my 'real job' -- but all my 'fun times' included music of some sort. Why not? I took music theory ap my senior year and loved every minute. I loved figuring out cords and triads. It was like a puzzle to me. I even applied for a scholarship with the music dept at UNLV.

Well my parent's were not too excited. I think they knew it was something I might end up hating if I tried to make it my life. When I got accepted to BYU-I for the winter/summer track - I thought - fantastic! I am going to take classes at UNLV before I go... get some pre-reqs out of the way. Perhaps if I liked UNLV I would just stay. My parent's convinced me to minor in Business -- so I took intro to business that fall semester along with geology, an intro to dance class and Spanish.

As the fall semester progressed -- I realized I loved my business class - however, did not enjoy the environment surrounding UNLV. I could not wait to get out of town. I realized how much I liked my job and just put it on the back burner to think about.

I started to make my schedule for BYU-I... and suddenly realized -- if I majored in music it would take me for-ev-er to graduate. I would have to take so many one and zero classes -- making my schedule hectic every semester. Did I really enjoy singing and theory that much? I really started to evaluate my 'declared major' --

One morning I woke-up and promptly decided that music was not for me. While I loved it -- I did not want to kill myself for it. I called up BYU-Idaho and told the nice gentleman on the other side of the phone I would like to change my major - and was there any possible way to do that. Once he discovered I had not even started up there yet - it was as easy as clicking a button. And Folks --- I haven't looked back since.

I loved my major --- I love business - I loved learning about the various elements. I also loved my college experience more because I think I was able to diversify my classes a little more. I had more opportunity to take different classes of my interest - like 2 piano classes, a dance class a semester, horseback discovery (my biology credit on horse back!) , photography and I even got to create my own emphasis for the HR one -- all b/c of my core junior bus. classes.

Because I choose to major in business - I was also able to be more involved in organizations on campus. I had the opportunity to serve more because I was not consumed with little classes. I also was a major participant in my music and dance classes - I was a TA for both at one point or another. For my job all four years I tutored math on campus - teaching all along the way. So I still had many opportunities to teach - just not the subject I originally thought.

I have had many opportunities post graduation as a direct result of my activities during college. I worked as a program assistant for Youth programs at BYU-I last summer - doing marketing! I worked for Wells Fargo -- and now For WAMU now part of Chase . I am working to get experience in the industry - so I can then go and be a recruiter and/or trainer! living the dream!

But never fear -- my music dreams have not been squashed -- I am a faithful singer in the choir at church & institute when I am in town and I play piano and will be singing with Alyson in church in a few weeks! I figure I can continue to use my musical talent in other ways -- to benefit my family, friends and others around me -- and not have to kill myself for it. ;)

2 comments:

Janssen said...

What an interesting awesome post.

I had wondered why you ended up in business after having been such a Fine Arts girl in high school.

Ralphie said...

Thanks for the awesome comment Amber! We really dusted off the ol' dance shoes when we did that one. But golly, it was fun!

And any friend of Janssen's is a friend of mine.