December 11, 2008

Taking A Dare

“Love comes when manipulations stops;
when you think more about the other person than about his or her reactions to you.
When you dare to reveal yourself fully.
When you dare to be vulnerable.”

I was reading K & M's blog and this was the quote of the week. I realized that I was drawn to the word dare in this quote.

I have to come to the conclusion that anytime you start a new realtionship - whether that be friendship or romantic or even work related I suppose - you are daring to take a chance. You are getting to know them - their likes, dislikes, quirkes, pet peves, hobbies, excitiment factors, loves. But not only that you are sharing a part of yourself. A part of who you are.

I realized that purhaps this is why we have so many different people who fulfil different roles in our lives. I know for me I have those I call when I am feeling blue, those who I call to go dancing, those I call to play games, those I call to do creative artsy things with. Purhpas that is why I have so many friends! So many people to fulfil the different facets that make me up.

Very rarely though do I find someone who can share most every facet of my life. It seems like when I do - it really is a dare for me. It is something that I am not sure if I really want to do - b/c it means letting them in all the way. But it is what I imagine true love to be like. To be so sweet and so rewarding that taking a dare on someone is more than worth it. I have had a few experiences that were close to that - a few that I thought could be that - but I always seem to come up short. Purhaps it is the one thing that will distinguish the real from the fake. And purhaps it takes time to cultivate and develope that sort of relationship.

But it is a dare; it is a chance. A chance that seems would be more than worth it in the end.

2 comments:

KColton said...

I don't know if I'm really emotional lately or what but your post made me tear up. Thanks for your post! I luv ya! :_)

Second Helpings of Life said...

Love it. It is a huge chance, it does require daring. :-D

Cannot wait to see you next week!!!